John A. Markulin
As a Managing Principal of Kor Structural, John Markulin is responsible for delivering innovative structural engineering solutions for some of the firm’s most notable projects. John is an accomplished engineer with significant project experience in the design of reinforced concrete, pre-cast concrete, cast-in-place concrete, post-tensioned concrete, tilt-up concrete, structural steel, load-bearing steel stud, wood-frame, and masonry, as well as floor systems, vertical load systems and seismic and lateral systems.
His emphasis on producing project-specific and cost-effective designs that meet stringent architectural and economic constraints has helped make many projects successful, including tall towers, mixed-use commercial and residential projects, light industrial warehouses, and institutional/public facilities such as ice rinks, sports facilities, social housing and extended health care facilities, hotels, office buildings, and LEED Certified projects.
John is valued among his clients and colleagues for providing hands-on service and supporting our firm’s engineers on all his projects, while remaining involved during all phases of the project life cycle, from the preliminary design consultations, to the completion of construction and occupancy.
John has designed hundreds of buildings and high-rise towers throughout North America, including the International Hotel & Tower in Downtown Vancouver BC, the Parkside at Waterfront development in Calgary AB, Solo District Towers Stratus, Altus, and Cirrus in Burnaby BC, and the Lougheed Heights development in Coquitlam BC. Current projects include Burrard Place in downtown Vancouver BC, Gilmore Place in Burnaby BC, Aerius at Solo District in Brentwood Park, Burnaby BC, and the Port Coquitlam Recreation Complex.
After graduating from the University of British Columbia with a Bachelor in Civil Engineering in 1991, John quickly built a solid reputation at some of Vancouver’s leading engineering firms. He joined our team in 1998 and successfully balanced project work and continued with his studies to earn his Master of Engineering from the University of British Columbia in 2001 and his Struct.Eng. (BC) designation in 2006. He is currently licensed to practice in British Columbia, Alberta, Washington, California, Texas, and Arizona.
- Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Structural Engineers Association of British Columbia (SEABC)
- Registered Civil Engineer in the State of California
- Registered Structural Engineer in the State of California
- Registered Civil Engineer in the State of Washington
- Registered Structural Engineer in the State of Washington
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Texas
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Arizona
- Member, CSA-A23-3 Clause 21 Committee, “Seismic Design of Reinforced Concrete”