Parkside at Waterfront
Parkside at Waterfront, located along the Bow River in downtown Calgary, is a large, multi-phase residential community by developer Anthem Properties. It consists of nine main buildings constructed over three separate underground parking structures. It includes three residential towers and integrated mid-rise podium over a single parkade structure, with five more mid-rise residential buildings over two separate below grade parking structures. The riverside location, the extensive scale, the unusual terraced design of the residential units, and the phased development over a long period of time required special design solutions and partnership.
- The large footprint size and form of this development required extraordinary planning of the below grade and above grade structures in order to minimize the size, extent, and location of transfer slabs
- The architectural building forms and the developers desired unit layouts were achieved, while still maintaining structural efficiencies and minimizing load transfers
- The location of the development, directly adjacent to the Bow River, required the below grade structure to be designed and constructed as a fully watertight building
- The terraced building forms provide for large roof deck terraces for many of the units
- The below grade structure is up to four levels below grade and approximately 50 ft. at its deepest point, which meant designing the foundation walls to withstand large hydrostatic pressures